Thursday, May 9, 2013

Cry of Fear (Video Game Review)


Never once I have ever been so afraid, so traumatized. Never once in my entire life have I ever screeched like a little girl from a survival horror video game before, nor from a horror film.


I have played through the Fatal Frames, some Silent Hills and Resident Evil games and not one has ever fiscally made me feel so stressed.

Cry of Fear is so sinister, so dark and twisted that I was afraid I was not going to make it to the 51st minute.

When starting up Cry of Fear a warning screen is displayed. Like most video games, I do not take it serious and continue on. The menus are presented with a slight eerie feeling with some sharp sudden sounds but nothing I haven’t seen or heard before, I simply continue. What follows is a short cinematic with a few credits whilst developing a sense of solitude with a gloomy and depressing atmosphere. You are then dropped right in the middle of 4 walled room with a poster of “The Grudge 2” posted against the door. Upon exiting you find yourself in a black maze and the only way out is to use your flash camera to take snap shots of white x to reveal what is hidden and find your way out of there. Doesn’t sound too bad, right?


Wrong.

No spoiler alert here as I do not want to deprive you from the fear, shock and terror you will experience when the single most terrifying event I have ever expressed finally hits you. My immediate response was a combination of the following reactions:
  1. Scream
  2.  Release the mouse
  3. Through off my headphones
  4. Jerked my head away from the screen
  5. Jump out of my seat
  6. And bolt for the door

Breathing heavily. Confused. Terrified.

Will I be able to continue?

Yes.

I finally sum up the courage to re-enter my room, sit down and continue playing.

51 minutes have passed…

I now fear for my life…

None the less. Although it is truly terrifying I am enjoying my single player experience. 


No comments:

Post a Comment