Saturday, May 11, 2013

Da Vinci's Demons (TV Series Review)

Untold and fictional story of Da Vinci and his demons

David S. Goyer. The legendary writer of the new series of Batman films which were all very well written or perhaps assumed as such due to the talents of Christopher Nolan’s directing.

The reason I mention this is because the writing of Da Vinci’s Demons rather fails when compared with the aforementioned film series in areas of weight, context and connecting with the audience. This makes me think, how can these two very different styles of writing come from the same person?

I have never really been a fan of historical events being portrayed in an over exaggerated manner in the attempt to add dramatic effect. Makes the events seem illogical. Then again, I find myself enjoying films such as 300 where over exaggeration is encouraged as it is after all an all an out, unjust, brutal war. Now you cannot compare the two but I understand why the character Leonardo Di Vinci is being beefed up and that is because he is a 25 year old artist embracing life and his egocentric nature. Be it a bit ludicrous.



Please remember that this is the untold fictional story of Leonardo Da Vinci when he was oh so very young and his name was associated with delinquency. Do not take anything literally and you will have to allow for the fluff and overly dramatized scenes which they laced the first 51 minutes with so heavily if you want to enjoy this series.

Being an untold and fictional tale allows the writer to explore a whole new world with Da Vinci as his lead character. On occasion I allowed myself to be swept up and indulged in the story but I soon found myself losing interest in this tale of Leonardo.

This makes me sad... I suppose if I want to learn of the great name that is Leonardo Di Vinci I will have to stick to the History channel or read up about him in books rather than be educated through entertainment.



No comments:

Post a Comment